Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Testimony of a Miracle Girl


Shelby gave her Aplastic Anemia testimony (9-18-15) at the coffee house gathering held monthly at The Little White Church in Hill City. A nice crowd came together, filtering in as Shelby spoke. Here it is, though lengthy...

My Testimony

- I’ll start off with my early childhood:

- When I was very young I was diagnosed with PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder)…also referred to as a mild form of autism.

- My single mom tried hard to meet the challenges that came with me.

- When I was a toddler she began letting me stay with my grandparents once in a while for a week or two, and they lived about 450 miles away at that time.

- It was a fun adventure for me, and it gave my mom some time to regroup.

- Then each summer I would visit my grandparents for a few weeks, once they moved to Hill City to start their "retirement" business, and I was always so happy to be back in Hill City.

- And the first year I moved up here is when Hill City had their first soccer team, and of course, I wanted to play…

 - So my grandpa wanted me to have health insurance in case I got hurt. He did all the research and couldn’t find insurance for me, but finally went to SD Medicaid. And so, I played my first year of soccer…no injuries.

- I was just into the second year, and that is when I started seeing symptoms…



- I started to feel very tired…I would sleep for hours when I got back from school and slept in late on weekends, and my grandparents thought it was probably because I’m a teenager and needed extra sleep.

- I noticed, and so did my grandparents, that I was starting to get very pale.

- Then I started having big black and blue dark colored bruises on my legs.
    
- Then petechia first started showing up on my legs. Petechia are little red spots on the skin as a result of internal bleeding.

- And my grandparents thought that it was from wearing tight pants/leggings…but then it started showing up on my arms and face.

- But one night, somehow my ankle got cut and it started to bleed, but it wasn’t normal, it was clear…the blood was very, very watery.
             
- That’s when we knew it was time to visit Dr. Graber.
      
- We got an appointment the next day to visit him after school.

- I started doing research on the symptoms I was having…The first thing that came up was Leukemia.

- I was in a bit of shock thinking, how could this happen to me? And again I thought, is this REALLY happening to me?

- When I arrived at the clinic, they started doing tests, getting my blood mostly…
          
- After all the testing was done, we went home.
           
- The next morning, I was walking out the door to go to school, and that’s when we got a call from Dr. Graber saying to take me to the Custer emergency room, and the ambulance would take me to the Custer Airport where the Sanford Childern’s Hospital plane would pick me up.
            
- We were all in shock. On the way to Custer, Grandma said a verse to me to help me with my fear, Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

- When we got there, we met with a doctor right away, Dr. Barbour, and he told me what I might have. He said, possibly Very Severe Aplastic Anemia or Leukemia.

- They did a lot of blood tests.

- After a few days of testing, they told me I had Very Severe Aplastic Anemia.

- At first I was very happy that it wasn’t cancer! But then I found out how serious it is to have Very Severe Aplastic Anemia (only happens in one in a million people, rare).

- For all of you who don’t know, Very Severe Aplastic Anemia is a bone marrow disorder. The bone marrow doesn’t make any red blood cells, platelets and white blood cells.

- They told me that I would be getting some immune suppressant medicine in hopes it would re-boot my bone marrow.

- The medicine was called Cyclosporine, and it could be from a horse or a rabbit, and I got a horse…and my mane really grew long…and my eye brows…and my un-wanted mustache, and my face got fat from all the steroids I had to take, and then I also broke out in hives from the blood transfusions, so I had to take Benadryl, which I didn’t really mind much, because I liked sleeping. Hehe

- They treated me for several months, my mom drove me back and forth across the state just about every week for treatment and check ups...6 hours each way.

- The immune suppressant treatment wasn’t working well for me, so the doctor started the process of trying to find a bone marrow donor.

- This bone marrow transplant would be done at the Children’s Amplatz Hospital, Minneapolis, MN.

- The donor turned out to be a wonderful 55 year old woman, who had to have extensive testing to make sure there was nothing wrong with her so she could go through the marrow donation okay. She was 100% match for me.

- We hope that one day we will get to meet her and tell her how she helped save my life.

- There was one major life threatening complication in the Sanford Children’s Hospital.

- Because of the vast number of transfusions and tests, it was necessary for me to have a PICC line to have access to my vein (Explain PICC line…)

- This caused a serious blood clot all the way up my arm and into my clavicle that had to have surgery to remove it, and if they hadn’t gotten it in time, I probably would have died from the blood clot going into my heart.

- Now on to Minneapolis, MN!

- The move on to Minneapolis, MN took us to the Amplatz Children’s Hospital, 5th floor with my mom.

- Preparation for the transplant required a total elimination (by chemotherapy and full body radiation) of what little bone marrow and immunity that I had.

- The chemo and radiation had their painful side effects which struck me mostly after the transplant. I lost all my hair and much of my weight.

- The day came for my transplant. The marrow was picked up in Europe, flown back here and hand carried by courier.

- An exciting yet apprehensive time for me because they had to tell me that the bone marrow transfusion, much like a simple blood transfusion, could kill me.

- That first day is called day 0, and that’s like the day a baby is born and will need immune shots and need to be protected.

- I was doing so well that at the end of Christmas time, my mom and sister turned the care back over to Grandma and Grandpa and they started their long drive back to FL.

- At the end of 100 days, if I was doing good, I could go home.

- Day 96, I started running a fever. Tests said that the Epstein-Barr virus in me had attacked my B-cells and changed into lymphoma (but that word was not directly used, but it was called PTLD, Post Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder).

- They took out 2 lymph nodes in my neck to confirm it was PTLD.

- They treated me with more chemo and steroids but said they could not cure me, though the treatments did kill many of the PTLD cells which had caused lesions in my bone marrow, spinal fluid, brain, liver and on many of my vital organs.

- It was at this time I began to bleed in the back of my nose, in the adenoids, and passing  blood.

- So much blood that they had to search out the cause.

- It was these scabs at the back of my nose that were bothered by food, drink and medications which caused them to bleed.

- Grandpa said he watched me throw up blood, then reach into the back of my throat and pull out clots 3 to 6 inches long. He saw me do this 5 or 6 times.

- Then I would take Harry the pole with me and go back to sleep (Explain Harry the pole…)

- The doctors were trying to figure out why I was bleeding so much and they couldn’t stop it.

- Tests came back that it was Von Willebrand Factor.

- The protein (glue) on the blood platelets was missing, so my blood could not coagulate easily, even though I was beginning to make my own platelets.

- They took me to surgery, scoped my nose and found a large clot on my adenoids.

- They also put a camera in my stomach and found 2 lesions at the mouth of my small intestine that were bleeding. 

- The doctor told my grandpa that she had to call in another surgeon from another hospital to help her staple off the bleeding.

- It was a long surgery and I was very grateful for the prayers.

- Out of the surgery and awake, I had found they had sprayed foam in both sides of my nose.

- When they cauterized my adenoids, they said the procedure could have caused me to go blind, since they were so close to the optic nerve.

- They had also told me, when they took out the lymph nodes in my neck, if they nicked a nerve which lay up against the lymph nodes they would remove, my jaw could become partially paralyzed.

- And it was, to some degree, for a couple of weeks. My smile looked like I had a stroke.

- With the diagnosis of Von Willebrand it meant no eating or drinking because the surgeries had to heal, and any liquid could wash off a newly forming clot and food could drag a clot off.

- My packed nose hurt and it was so hard to have to breathe through my mouth for weeks.

- Do you know what it is like not being able to drink water for weeks? And having your mouth so dry from having to breathe through it? I do.   Once, I asked Grandma to ask the nurse standing by my bed to pray for my nose. The nurse said she would. The next morning, half of my nose could breathe.

- I was very miserable not drinking water, couldn’t stand it! and this distressed my grandma and grandpa. Grandma finally asked them if they would let me swish water in my mouth.

- They said okay, as long as I didn’t swallow any.

- Once when the doctor was in the room I was swishing and had gotten to my last little bit of water…I swished it, then swallowed it. The doctor was looking right at me, and I gave her a guilty smile, and everyone laughed.

- Finally the packing in my nose began to dissolve out, and bleeding began to come under control because of medications for the Von Willebrand Factor, but this was not a permanent fix.

- In the meantime, children were dying around me. My mom, Grandma and Grandpa got to know some of the parents, and it was very hard to hear of a child dying.

- There would come a point of no return where the child’s hope for any quality of life was gone, and one surgical procedure would lead to another and another, trying to fix the side effects of the procedures and medications, and this would continue with terrible pain for the child, until death.

- One night Grandpa stayed with me in the hospital and Grandma tried to get some rest in our RMcD room. She told me later that she couldn’t sleep and was in fear that I was right at that place where I might lose my quality of life forever and suffer worse and worse things until I die.

- She pleaded with God, and then sensed that God reminded her that He is merciful and she could ask for mercy. She knew we aren’t any better than anybody else, but she could ask God for mercy. She did.

- Not knowing if that meant I would die suddenly or that I would be healed.

- The next morning she came to me and said with lots of tears, “If Jesus comes knocking on your door and you are tired of this, feel free to go to Him. Don’t worry about me. I will miss you until the day I die, but you are the one who is suffering. Don’t feel that you have to stick around here for me.”
I was relieved.

- That same day, the doctors had a conference with my mom, Grandma and Grandpa, and they told them that nothing more could be done for me that they hadn’t already done.

- And that is when they said the CANCER word, not just PTLD.  But then, the main doctor in the conference room - as if a lightbulb came on - shared with mom, Grandma and Grandpa that there was a trial study treatment going on in Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC, and that it could possibly provide me a cure for the cancer.

- Many things had to happen, such as being accepted into the trial study, and finding transportation from Minneapolis to NYC.

- Mom, Grandma and Grandpa decided not to tell me of the trial treatment until they knew it would happen, because they didn’t want me to have false hope.

- Then the doctors came into my room one of those next few evenings and told me that the transplant had cured me of Very Severe Aplastic Anemia, and that they could not even find it in my DNA.

- Then they told me the bad news, that I had cancer.

- “You mean I am cured of Aplastic Anemia?” “Yes.” “But now I have cancer?” “Yes.”

- Once I understood I had cancer, I broke down and cried.

- Then, since everything had come together enough for them to feel it was time to tell me, they told me about the trial study at Memorial Sloan Kettering.

- When they left the room, I was a little mad at Mom, Grandma and Grandpa for not telling me sooner, but they explained that they didn’t want to give me false hope.

- But for me, that last few days, before I was told about Memorial Sloan Kettering, had been really hard (…like having the spinal tap when they looked for PTLD in my spinal cord, that led to a lengthy bleeding episode, that started the search for a cause, and led to Von Willebrand). And I was very down and discouraged by then, and didn’t have any more energy to go on.

- Grandma wanted to encourage me, even though she couldn’t say anything about the trial study, so instead she read comments that people had written below a post she had made on my facebook page, Shelby’s Journey with Very Severe Aplastic Anemia.

- She didn’t tell me that the post was about the trial study. She just read people’s comments, encouraging me, praying for me. A lot of comments. Halfway through the comments, I told Grandma that I wanted to get up.

- She thought it was to use the bathroom. But, no, I wanted to sit in the chair. I sat for a few minutes, then I wanted to walk to a room that had a bean bag in it, so I could sit in the bean bag. We walked there and found out it was closed for the weekend.

- So, we walked some more until we found a small empty conference room with a couch. I made myself comfortable on the couch.

- I asked if we could play hangman on the wall board. Grandma would fill in the blanks for us. She and I made little words, like G-o-d.

- Then it was Grandpa’s turn and Grandma asked him how many letters. He just smiled and said, “16”. I busted out laughing so hard that I almost fell on the floor! I knew Grandpa didn’t know any words with 16 letters.

- When it was time to go to NYC, Grandpa and Grandma watched them put me in the ambulance with my mom.

- From there, the Sanford Children’s Hospital plane flew me from MN to NY.

- When I got to Memorial Sloan Kettering, I met more doctors and they ran some more tests.

- The treatment they were going to do was a non-invasive T-cell treatment.

- The T-cells (or fighter cells) would come from people who had the Epstein-Barr virus, which most people, over 90%, have been exposed to.

[- EBV can cause infectious mono, but it isn’t mono. It is suspected to be related to things like chronic fatigue syndrome and even multiple sclerosis and other auto immune diseases.]

- In the trial study, specific T-cells that are trained against EBV are gathered from people, and are administered into the patient, injected from a large tube into the port, or as Grandpa would say,
“like a hog shot”.

- My own T-cells were coming in but were not plentiful enough or strong enough to reverse my condition.

- I was given T-cells three times (once a week) and then would wait three weeks to see what the results would be. This was called a round. I had three rounds, and then was told that I was cancer-FREE! July 18, 2014. It was a nice birthday present for my mom, who was born on July 18.

- During my hospital stay at Memorial Sloan Kettering, I got to meet someone very special…Taylor Swift! I didn’t know she would be coming until the very morning that she walked into my room.

- We visited for about 20 minutes. It was really exciting! She did a selfie with me, cheek to cheek.

- Then she said, “I was almost named Shelby”. She explained that her parents decided against it because then she would have been “She’ll Be Swift” and joked that she may not have grown up to be a fast runner.

- My between-round times were spent out of hospital, in the Ronald McDonald House.

- My mom spent most of that time with me, though Grandma and Grandpa got to stay for three weeks with me in NYC.

- Mom and I walked nearly everywhere, well, I was usually pushed in a wheelchair.

- We did take a bus once and a taxi a couple of times. We had a boat ride to the Statue of Liberty. We went to Time Square (and I got to eat at Bubba Gump Shrimp), Little Italy, Ground Zero, Grand Central Station, the Empire State Building, Wall Street, and many trips to Central Park.

- I even got a cupcake out of a Cupcake ATM!

- The first time that my mom wheeled me around (exercise for her, she liked that!), we just went exploring, up and down avenues, going into stores…And I came back pooped!

- One day the doctors and Mom decided it was time for me to start walking. But about every 10 steps I had to sit down. Over time, I started doing a lot better and then I began walking everywhere, with my mask on, of course.

- I now have my energy back, I don’t nap as much as I used to, and I walk a lot…home from school, walks with Neal, and walks with Grandma and Grandpa.

- There are a couple more things worth saying.

- The Ronald McDonald House in Minneapolis gave me and my mom tickets to a Minnesota Viking’s Football game, and while my grandparents were there with me, they gave us tickets to a Minnesota Wild Hockey Game. We sat in a box seat booth that was provided by one of the players, complete with food and beverages, and overlooking the arena.

- Between T-cell treatments, for my 18th birthday, Mom had been trying to get a corporate angel flight from NY to FL so she could take me home for my birthday. But there didn’t seem to be any flights available.

- Then, the afternoon before my birthday, a lady called to say they had a flight for us. Mom asked where in FL was it going?...hoping somewhere around Tampa which is only 50 miles from where she lives.

- And the lady told her the flight was going to a little airport just 5 minutes from where my mom lives. Then my mom asked if there would be a return flight. And the lady said, “Yes, just call us when you get ready to go back.”

- Mom said she heard that the plane belonged to somebody in the Minnesota Vikings organization. The plane came from Minneapolis and picked us up in NYC and flew us straight to the little airport, and we were the only passengers. And they had miniature cinnamon rolls.

- This journey that I had been on lasted 2-1/2 years of my life. In February 2015 we left NYC, and stopped in Minneapolis on the way home to see Dr. Tolar, my bone marrow transplant doctor.

- We asked him if there was anything that they had gained from my experience.

- Dr. Tolar said that because of my experience they have finally funded to get the equipment for the T-cell treatments there in Minneapolis.

- What he didn’t know was the way I had answered a comment of Taylor Swift’s. She had said, “I’m just so sorry you have to go through this at this time in your life.” I replied, “I would rather go through it than a little baby.” Taylor Swift said to me that it was the bravest thing she had ever heard.

- But that is God’s heart in mine.

- When Dr. Tolar told me to go home and live a normal life, I asked him, “What’s normal?”

- I can tell you now that “normal” is having Jesus in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment